Sauder Schelkopf is investigating claims on behalf of women who used chemical hair products and developed uterine cancer. Hair straightening and other hair products may contain dangerous chemicals with endocrine-disrupting and carcinogenic properties.
In October 2022, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) reported that women who used chemical hair-straightening products were at a higher risk for uterine cancer compared to women who did not use the products. According to the NIH’s study of more than 33,000 women, women who used straightening products were 2.5 times more likely to develop uterine cancer than those who did not use the products. “We estimated that 1.64% of women who never used hair straighteners would go on to develop uterine cancer by the age of 70; but for frequent users, that risk goes up to 4.05%,” said Alexandra White, Ph.D., head of the NIEHS Environment and Cancer Epidemiology group and lead author on the new study.
Researchers identified several chemicals used in hair-straightening products and relaxers that can put women at a higher risk of developing uterine cancer. Additionally, these chemicals may cause scalp lesions and burns.
- Sodium Hydroxide
Read October 17, 2022, National Institutes of Health Study
Sauder Schelkopf has been at the forefront of some of the most important women’s rights cases.
- Sauder Schelkopf filed the first nationwide class action lawsuit to protect individuals from the increased risk of breast implant-associated anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL), associated with Allergan BIOCELL textured breast implants. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently requested that Allergan recall its BIOCELL textured breast implants and tissue expanders. Allergan agreed and is removing these products from the global market. Our firm was court-appointed to serve on the steering committee.
- Sauder Schelkopf, and co-counsel, reached a $215 million settlement on behalf of female patients of Dr. George Tyndall, a gynecologist at the University of Southern California accused of sexual misconduct since the 1990s. The settlement also included significant policy changes to prevent future sexual misconduct.
- Sauder Schelkopf represented women who suffered a catastrophic loss of fertilized eggs and embryos when the Pacific Fertility Center’s storage tank malfunctioned at its San Francisco fertility clinic. In June 2021, a federal jury in California awarded five patients who lost embryos and eggs a combined $15 million in damages.
- Sauder Schelkopf represented women in a lawsuit against Ferring Pharmaceuticals, Inc. related to the manufacture and sale of its fertility drug, Bravelle. It was alleged that over an 18-month period Ferring knew or had reason to know that Bravelle was sub-potent and could not deliver on its promised benefits.
- Sauder Schlekopf represented women who were implanted with Essure, a female birth control device. It is alleged that the devices migrated and fractured, punctured internal organs, or caused other injuries.
Sauder Schelkopf has a nationally recognized litigation practice. The firm currently serves as court-appointed lead counsel in courts across the country. The attorneys at Sauder Schelkopf have recovered over $500 million on behalf of their clients and class members. Our firm was recognized by the Legal Intelligencer’s 2022 Professional Excellence Awards. The Legal Intelligencer’s Professional Excellence Awards honor Pennsylvania law firms and attorneys who have made a significant, positive impact on the legal profession. Our firm was named in the Litigation Departments of the Year (Specialty Area category; runner-up), an award that honors the best litigation practice in a small or mid-sized firm in Pennsylvania. This recognition was based on the firm’s 2021 litigation work and its important ongoing cases. LawDragon has recognized our attorneys in its list of the “500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers” for 2022. This list notes: “From the opioid epidemic to toxic substances and defective products, truck accidents to wildfires and sexual abuse, these are the lawyers who stand on the front line in individual lawsuits and class actions seeking justice.” Mr. Schelkopf was named to Pennsylvania’s Best Lawyers® 2022 for Class Actions/Mass Tort Litigation. The American Lawyer named Mr. Sauder to its 2021 Northeast Trailblazers. The honor recognizes 60 lawyers who are “truly agents of change.” It “recognizes professionals in the Northeast who have moved the needle in the legal industry.” The Legal Intelligencer named Mr. Sauder and Mr. Schelkopf in its 2020 Pennsylvania Trailblazers list recognizing 31 lawyers who “have taken extra measures to contribute to positive outcomes . . . and who are truly agents of change.” The Legal highlighted the firm’s innovative work on advocacy as class counsel in large institutional sex abuse cover-ups, women’s, and children’s rights. Our attorneys have also consistently been recognized by their peers being named to Pennsylvania SuperLawyer, a distinction held by the top 5% of attorneys in Pennsylvania. Our attorneys have also been selected by the National Trial Lawyers Association as the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Pennsylvania.
We Want to Hear from You
If you developed uterine cancer after using chemical hair-straightening or hair-relaxing products, please contact the attorneys at Sauder Schelkopf by completing the form on this page.