Sauder Schelkopf is investigating sexual misconduct allegations against San Jose State University on behalf of former student–athletes. In a whistleblower lawsuit filed on March 2, 2021, in California state court it is alleged, in part, that:
“In 2009, SJSU’s Director of Sports Medicine and Head Athletic Trainer … was accused of sexual misconduct toward more than a dozen female athletes. [He] allegedly touched over a dozen female athletes beneath their undergarments, massaging their breasts and pelvic areas when they sought treatment for other parts of their bodies, without explicit consent or the presence of a chaperone. SJSU initiated a Title IX investigation in 2009, which quietly cleared [him] of wrongdoing.”
During his tenure at SJSU he was reportedly was an associate head athletic trainer, served as the women’s swimming and diving team’s primary trainer, and the sports medicine director
On March 5, 2021, USA Today reported in part:
Ten former San Jose State University female athletes alleged school employees knew of a pattern of sexual abuse by a longtime athletic trainer but did nothing to protect them, according to tort claim notices they filed this week against the California State University System.
. . . .
A [California State University System] spokesperson directed USA TODAY to university officials. In a statement, San Jose State spokesman Ken Mashinchi said the university is reviewing the claims.
“San Jose State University is dedicated to working every day to ensure a positive, safe and constructive environment on campus so that all students continue to get the most from their experience at SJSU,” Mashinchi said
Through his attorney, the former employee previously denied any wrongdoing.
These are only allegations and have not at this time been proven in court.
Sauder Schelkopf has a nationally recognized litigation practice. Our former prosecutors have extensive experience representing victims of all ages.
- Sauder Schelkopf, and co-counsel, recently reached a $215 million settlement on behalf of female patients of Dr. George Tyndall, a gynecologist at the University of Southern California accused of sexual misconduct since the 1990s.
- We have represented survivors of clergy sexual abuse in dioceses throughout the country.
- We have a class action lawsuit pending on behalf of males who were victims of sexual misconduct by Dr. Richard Strauss, the Ohio State team doctor, while they were students and student-athletes at Ohio State University.
- Sauder Schelkopf filed a class action lawsuit against Dr. Patrick Sutton and Huntington Memorial Hospital located in Pasadena, California on behalf of women who were subjected to sexual misconduct by Sutton, a gynecologist at the hospital.
- We have been court-appointed as Interim Co-Class Counsel to represent former students of the University of Michigan who were victims of sexual misconduct by Dr. Robert E. Anderson, former director of University Health Service, and a former athletic team physician, who worked at the University of Michigan from 1968 until his retirement in 2003.
We Want to Hear from You
If you are a survivor of sexual abuse, you can confidentially contact the lawyers at Sauder Schelkopf by filling out the form on this page or calling 888.711.9975